Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Elvis, Sting and me

  
We are all getting just a little bit old, apparently. Months ago I bought tickets to see The Police in San Jose, and weeks later learned that Elvis Costello was the opener; a nice bonus. Mostly, this was about my unresolved angst at having to give up a pair of Police tickets back in 1984, because I couldn't get the night off work. Well, the show was Monday night, and it didn't exactly disappoint, but... EC and The Attractions seemed lackluster (or maybe just plain tired) and by the end of the show he was losing his voice. Sting appeared onstage to assist with 'Alison' (his aim was true) and that created some excitement.

The more energetic Police took over at dark and belted out successive classics; some true to their original versions, others with the Sting spin, changed tempos and arrangements, as he is known to do. Sometimes that works for me, but not always. I really would have liked to hear Synchronicity 2, Darkness or a couple of other lesser known but brilliant songs. But overall, it was quite good. And energetic, and fun. Back to getting old; Sting is rocking a scraggly looking grey beard, and I think I just enjoy concerts a little less than I did 20 years ago.  

No comments: